Services offered at Parks Children’s Dentistry
As a pediatric dentist, Dr. Conrad Parks has been specially trained to provide services for pediatric patients and those patients with special healthcare needs. At Parks Children’s Dentistry, we offer these services in a child friendly environment:
- Routine hygiene cleanings with registered dental hygienists. Cleanings include a comprehensive oral exam with Dr. Parks at every visit. Dr. Parks makes it a priority to include parents at each visit.
- Routine cleanings also include fluoride application, oral hygiene instruction and typically every 12 months, low radiation digital xrays.
- Dr. Parks is up to date on the latest treatment and offers dental sealants, extractions, composite restorations, stainless steel crowns, resin crowns, porcelain faced crowns, primary tooth root canals, custom made whitening trays and athletic guards and interceptive orthodontics.
- Dr. Parks also specializes in frenectomies using a soft tissue laser for infants and children. Through his pediatric dental residency Dr. Parks is certified by the World Laser Institute and has extensive training with frenectomy revisions.
- Dr. Parks is on call 24 hours/day 7 days week in the event that your child has a dental emergency. If Dr. Parks is out of town, he always makes arrangements to have a board certified pediatric dentist on call to assist his patients.
Treatment options Dr. Parks offers:
Dr. Parks is committed to delivering the best possible dental treatment in the safest and most effective manner. For some children this may mean utilizing analgesic medications to help patients relax and cooperate in the dental chair. A common option is nitrous oxide delivered through a mask that patients can inhale during treatment. Nitrous oxide is also known as laughing gas and helps children to relax and feel comfortable. Nitrous oxide is very safe, it is probably the safest sedative available. Nitrous oxide has a number of benefits that make it an ideal sedative in pediatric dentistry.
Quick facts about nitrous oxide (laughing gas):
- Most people, including children, tolerate nitrous oxide with no problems
- Nitrous oxide does not cause an allergic reaction
- Nitrous oxide takes effect quickly
- The dose is easily adjustable
- The effect can be quickly reversed if need be
- Nitrous oxide allows your child to stay fully conscious and alert
For some children, even after attempts with nitrous oxide and behavior management, dental treatment cannot be completed and sedation may need to be an option in order to maintain the safety of the children and the dental staff. Dr. Parks does offer in office general anesthesia provided by a board certified anesthesiologist through a partnership with Mobile Anesthesia Care. Dr. Parks also has privileges with Children’s Mercy Kansas and Missouri locations.